In my previous post I talked about the things that “sucked” about Intermittent Fasting. It was a bad news first proposition. So, here’s the good news: 5 things that are Awesome about Intermittent Fasting.
- Simple. Basically, you just don’t eat as often. It’s crazy how simple it is. No complicated recipes to follow or exercises to do. No special foods to eat or avoid. You just watch “when” you eat.
- Flexible. You can fast as much or as little as you want. Obviously the more you fast, the quicker you’ll see results. But even a little fasting goes a long way. And it’s easy to adjust your fasting schedule. You decide on a schedule and see how it works. And then adjust as you see fit. When I started fasting, I only fasted until noon on weekdays. On the weekends, I ate all three meals.
- Free. No special foods to buy. No expensive clubs to join. In fact, it can save you money! If you fast often, you will cut down on the amount of food you consume and reduce your grocery bill. Free and cost effective!
- Natural. No fancy vitamins or supplements necessary. Fasting has been around for as long as we have been around. Many religions and cultures incorporate fasting into their annual practice. The human body can function without food for short periods of time. Our hunter and gather ancestors wouldn’t have survived if this wasn’t the case.
- Autophagy. This was the concept that sold me on trying Intermittent Fasting in the first place. Autophagy is the body’s process of eating up old cells. It cleans up all the waste and free radicals that are floating around in your system. Things that can cause disease and problems for you down the road. But the body only goes in autophagy when there’s nothing else to eat. So, if you are always eating, there’s always a regular source for the body to consume. It’s only when you fast and the “stores” are empty that the body can start working on consuming the excess stuff. Fasting helps cleanse your body of all the excess junk floating around in your system. And helps prevent the development of some diseases.
Another thing I like about Intermittent Fasting is that it’s quick and effective. Wow. Two more reasons. But, it’s true.
I was trying for five years to lose twenty-five pounds and wasn’t succeeding. I got serious about Intermittent Fasting a little more than a year ago and I’ve lost over 40lbs.
© 2020 Peter Gruner